Guiding And Defending
You Through Life’s Toughest Moments

Back child support and the Passport Denial Program

On Behalf of | Nov 17, 2021 | Family Law

Whether you currently owe back child support, worry about your ability to stay current or are preparing to get a divorce and have concerns about child support payments, it is essential to understand the penalties associated with failing to pay support. Aside from the loss of your license, tax refund interception and even contempt of court charges, you could lose your passport if you fail to pay child support.

From heading overseas for business purposes to attending a family member’s wedding or enjoying a vacation you have planned for years, losing your passport could derail your plans.

When do parents lose their passport over back child support?

According to the Office of Child Support Enforcement, the Passport Denial Program denies, revokes and restricts U.S. passports that belong to parents who owe over $2,500 in back child support. If a parent owes over $2,500 in unpaid support, the Department of State will reject that parent’s passport application.

In addition, parents have their current U.S. passports revoked as a result of failing to pay child support.

How can parents owing back support restore passport privileges?

Parents who have lost their eligibility to apply for a passport or had their passport revoked will have to make payment arrangements with the child support agency in their state. In some instances, parents can set up a payment plan, but some states require the full payment of unpaid child support.

If you worry about your ability to pay child support, make sure you explore all potential options, such as modifying your child support order and planning for the future.