If you are a father, it is important for you to know your legal rights and responsibilities. Since there is no presumption under Virginia family law statutes that the mother will be granted custody, your rights may include custody, visitation and important decision-making regarding areas of your child's life. Your legal responsibilities may include paying child support and paying for unreimbursed medical expenses.
Helping Keep the Process Fair
If you are concerned that your parental rights are being overlooked or neglected in a divorce or separation, child custody child visitation or a child support matter, we can help you protect your rights and work toward a fair resolution. As family law attorneys who have worked with hundreds of fathers, we can assist you in resolving problems involving the following issues:
- Legal custody: Legal custody includes the ability to make decisions about your child's education, medical care and other important areas of life. Legal custody may be awarded by a court as joint (shared between two parents) or sole (given to one parent), depending on the circumstances.
- Physical custody: Physical custody concerns whom your child will live with primarily during the calendar year.
- Parenting time and visitation matters related to how much time each parent gets to spend with his or her children. We can help you work toward fair parenting time and visitation arrangements, whether you are a custodial parent or a noncustodial parent.
- Child support and unreimbursed medical expenses, obligations that noncustodial parents can be ordered by a court to pay.
- Modifications: If you experience a material change in circumstance, our attorneys can petition a court to modify existing orders related to child support, child custody and visitation matters.
Contact Our Firm's Fauquier County Fathers' Rights Lawyers
Every parent's situation is different. After taking the time to understand your situation, we can clearly explain your rights and options, and help you make important choices about how to proceed. Contact us to speak to an experienced family lawyer in Warrenton by calling 540-254-0757.